GREENEVILLE, TENN. – Anderson University men's tennis was edged out, 4-3, by South Atlantic Conference opponent Tusculum on Saturday afternoon at the Nichols Tennis Center.
With the loss, Anderson drops to 7-4 overall and 1-1 in SAC action, while the Pioneers improve to 5-2 overall and 1-0 in conference play.
Trojan duo Spencer Brown and Adam Kush defeated Tim Klee and Gabriel Yaguar 6-4 while Ignacio Bidegain and Preston Morpeth won over Manuel Almeida andFabian Paier 6-2 to give the Black and Gold and early 1-0 lead.
Tusculum won two points back to take a 2-1 lead winning the No. 1 and No. 3 flight. Anderson knotted the match up at 2-2 with Kush's victory over Yaguar, 6-1, 6-0. The Pioneer's own the No. 2 flight with Anderson battling back to even the match at 3-3 after senior's Tomas Depiaggio's straight set victory. Tusculum's Marco Meon earned the final point to secure the match.
Anderson will host SAC foe Wingate on Saturday. First serve is scheduled for 2 pm.
Tusculum 4, Anderson 3
1. David Akinpetide (TU) def. Ignacio Bidegain (AUM) 6-3, 6-1
2. Yago Fernandez (TU) def. Spencer Brown (AUM) 6-1, 7-5
3. Manuel Almeida (TU) def. Jeffrey Dayton (AUM) 7-6 (7-2), 6-1
4. Tomas Depiaggio (AUM) def. Vadzim Raitsou (TU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Adam Kush (AUM) def. Gabriel Yaguar (TU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Marco Meon (TU) def. Preston Morpeth (AUM) 6-4, 6-3
Match Notes: Anderson 7-4, 1-1 SAC Tusculum 5-2, 1-0 SAC T-4:1