NEWBERRY, S.C.– Anderson University men's tennis opened up its South Atlantic Conference slate with a, 4-3, win over Newberry on Monday afternoon at the Oakland Tennis Center.
With the win, Anderson moves to 7-3 overall and 1-0 in SAC play, while Newberry drops to 6-6 overall and 0-1 in conference action.
The Wolves claimed the doubles point while Anderson was able to win 4-of-6 singles matches to edge out Newberry.
Junior Ignacio Bidegain returned from an ankle injury to defeat the No. 2 player in the region in a three-set thriller to clinch the match for the Black and Gold. Sophomore Spencer Brown continued his solid play winning in the No. 2 slot while freshman Adam Kush earned a point in the fifth position. Junior Preston Morpeth quickly defeated his opponent to give AU a 2-1 lead.
Anderson continues its three-match road swing when it plays nonconference opponent Augusta on Wednesday. First serve is set for 2 pm.
Anderson 4, Newberry 3
1. Ignacio Bidegain (AUM) def. Edison Ambarzumjan (NBY) 6-2, 5-7, 7-6
2. Spencer Brown (AUM) def. Jose Navarro (NBY) 2-6, 6-2, 6-4
30. Sean Nguyen (NBY) def. Tomas Depaggio (AUM) 7-6, 6-3
4. Enrico Haas (NBY) def. Jeffrey Dayton (AUM) 6-2, 6-3
5. Adam Kush (AUM) def. Alex Amble (NBY) 6-0, 6-4
6. Preston Morpeth (AUM) def. Lawrence Friedland (NBY) 6-2, 6-1
1. Edison Ambarzumjan/Enrico Haas (NBY) def. Spencer Brown/Adam Kush (AUM) 7-5
2. Jose Navarro/Sean Nguyen (NBY) def. Ignacio Bidegain/Preston Morpeth (AUM) 6-4
3. Tomas Depaggio/Jeffrey Dayton (AUM) def. Alex Amble/Lawrence Friedland (NBY) 6-3
Match Notes: Anderson 7-3 Newberry 6-6 Doubles order of finish: 1, 2, 3 Singles order of finish: 2, 6, 4, 1, 3, 5