ANDERSON, S.C.-The Anderson University softball team used solid pitching and timely hitting to win its opening South Atlantic Conference doubleheader against Coker on Saturday afternoon winning game one, 5-0, while defeating the Cobras, 4-3 in the nightcap at the AU Softball Complex.
• The Trojans move to 21-5 on the year and 2-0 in SAC play while claiming their fifth contest in a row.
• With the losses, Coker drops to 23-9 overall and 0-2 in conference action.
• Freshman Mattie Hamilton hit two home runs while recording five RBI in the doubleheader.
• Sophomore Breanna Hagerty went 3-for-6 with an RBI and a run scored.
• Sophomore Kasey Grant hit a solo home run while being hit-by-pitch twice in game one.
• Sophomore Michaela Smith went 2-for-3 in game two including a walk-off home run.
• Junior Cailah Niles batted 1-for-2 in game two for the Trojans.
Senior hurler Angie Pena (9-1) got the nod for game one. Pena only allowed one hit which was a bunt single by the leadoff batter to begin the game. The Geneva, Ala. native struck out 11 batters while issuing on free passes. Pena is five strike-outs away from becoming AU's all-time career strikeout leader.
Coker's Christine Carver (5-2) suffered her second loss of the season in three innings of work. Carver was responsible for all five runs while giving up four hits and two walks. Nikki Linthicum pitched the final three innings giving up no hits and no runs.
Anderson 5, Coker 0
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Coker threatened in the top of the first inning stranding runners at second and third with one out.
• Anderson took an early 3-0 lead utilizing a hit-by-pitch, a walk and a 3-run blast by Hamilton.
• The Cobras did not get a runner past second base the remainder of the game while Pena dominated the Coker batter's for the remainder of the contest.
• The Trojans added a run in the bottom of the second on a solo shot by Grant while recording their fifth and final run in the bottom of the third inning. Senior Courtney Czentnar scored on a double by Hagerty.
Anderson 4, Coker 3
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Coker claimed the early 1-0 lead in game two scoring the lone run using two singles and a double.
• The Trojans answered right back in the bottom half of the second inning. Hagerty singled to right field while stealing second base on the next pitch. Smith's single up the middle scored Hagerty from second to knot the game up at one apiece.
• The Cobras quickly claimed the lead again on a solo home run to left center, 2-1.
• Anderson was held scoreless in the third, fourth and fifth innings while the Cobras were able to tack on another run in the fifth inning to go up, 3-1.
• Senior Lauren Rudesheim was able to retire Coker in order in the top half of the sixth inning.
• AU's Niles was able to draw a one out walk setting up Hamilton to blast her second home run of the day to tie the score at 3-3.
• After giving up a two-out single, Rudesheim retired the fourth batter of the inning to set the stage for the dramatic bottom of the seventh.
• AU's Smith was able to drive the ball over the right field fence to end the game in walk-off fashion.
Rudesheim (7-2) was able to shake off a three-hit first inning to scatter four hits over the next six innings of play. Rudesheim recorded three strikeouts on the day which puts her over 300 strikeouts for her career.
ANDERSON STAT OF THE DAY
The Black and Gold swiped four bases today giving them a total of 42-of-43 stolen bases on the season.
• Anderson remains at home to host nonconference opponent Limestone on Tuesday. First pitch of the doubleheader is slated for 4 p.m.