Anderson, S.C. – Anderson University men's tennis team kept battling to come from a 3-1 deficit to defeat South Atlantic Conference opponent Coker, 4-3, on Saturday afternoon at the AU Tennis Complex.
With the win, the Trojans improve to 9-6 overall and 3-3 in conference play while the Cobras fall to 6-8 overall and 3-3 in SAC action.
The Trojans earned the early doubles point, but dropped the first three singles matches to fall behind, 3-1. Junior Ignacio Bidgegain turned the tide by grinding out a 3-set victory to pull the Trojans within one. Sophomore Spencer Brown played a solid 3-setter to even the score at 3-3 setting up senior Tomas Depiaggio to bring home the victory for the Black and Gold. Depiaggio delivered winning in straight sets.
The Black and Gold will travel to SAC opponent Carson-Newman on Tuesday. First serve is slated for 2 pm.
Anderson 4, Coker College 3
1. Ignacio Bidegain (AUM) def. Melwin Krall (CCMTEN19) 6-7, 6-1, 6-4
2. Hunter Horton (CCMTEN19) def. Jeffrey Dayton (AUM) 6-3, 6-3
3. Spencer Brown (AUM) def. Justus Lehmann (CCMTEN19) 6-1, 2-6, 6-2
4. Max Sturgess (CCMTEN19) def. Adam Kush (AUM) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Tomas Depiaggio (AUM) def. Isaac MacMillan (CCMTEN19) 6-4, 7-5
6. Pablo Gonzalo-Saul (CCMTEN19) def. Preston Morpeth (AUM) 6-2, 7-6
Coker College (6-8, 3-3 SAC)
Anderson (9-6, 3-3 SAC)
Order of finish; (1-3-2) (2-6-4-1-3-5)