ANDERSON, S.C. – Young Harris plated three runs in the top of the 14th inning and the Trojans were unable to answer in their half of the frame, as the Mountain Lions outlasted Anderson, 13-10, in nonconference baseball action, Tuesday night at Memorial Stadium.
Anderson slipped to 3-1 on the season, while Young Harris evened its record at 2-2.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
Junior Cody Adams was 3-for-7 at the plate, with a double and a pair of singles, while junior Joseph Strange added a pair of singles and also reached on a pair of walks. Freshman Logan Jackson was 2-for-5, with a pair of singles and drove in two runs. Classmate Jack Fassino scored twice, with Dillon Carpenter recording a single, a double and three walks in seven trips to the plate. Jackson Strange scored twice and drove in two runs.
Junior right-hander Alex Medlin (0-1) absorbed the loss after allowing three runs on five hits in two innings of relief.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Mountain Lions struck first with a pair of runs in the top of the first inning, but AU took advantage of a lead-off double by Adams, a Young Harris error, a single and a sacrifice fly to knot the score with a pair of runs of their own in the bottom of the frame.
The Trojans erupted for seven runs over the next two innings to build an early, 9-2, advantage, while the Mountain Lions added a solo run in the fourth frame and climbed within four runs by scoring twice in their half of the fifth inning.
AU doubled up the Mountain Lions, at 10-5, after manufacturing a run in the bottom of the fifth, but the Trojans' bats then went nearly silent as they were limited to three singles and four walks over the next nine innings.
Young Harris deadlocked the score at 10-10 by posting five runs in the top of the eighth inning and neither team managed to push a run across the plate until the visitors notched the three-run 14th inning.
• The 14-inning affair lasted nearly five hours (4:57).
• The game marked the longest contest since AU joined the South Atlantic Conference in 2011 - AU went 12 innings at Tusculum in 2015, 12 innings at North Georgia during the 2012 season and 12 innings against Limestone in 2011.
• The two teams combined to use 12 pitchers.
• The game featured 38 hits, including eight for extra bases, and the two squads combined to strand 25 runners.
• Dillon Carpenter and Cody Adams have each recorded three multi-hit games this season.
• Senior hurler Will Gee leads the Trojan pitching staff with eight strikeouts on the season.
• Christian Carpenter has not surrendered a run in more than six innings of work.
• AU has outscored its opponents, 39-34, on the season.
• Dillon Carpenter has hit safely in all four games.
• Cody Adams extended his hitting streak to four games.
• Chandler Castleberry is riding a four-game hitting streak heading into Wednesday's game at Augusta.
Anderson will get back on the diamond Wednesday, when the Trojans travel to Augusta to square off against their second straight Peach Belt Conference-opponent. First-pitch is scheduled for 2 p.m.