For the first time, AUTrojans.com is counting down Anderson University athletics’ 25 most memorable games, matches and meets from the 2013-14 academic year. This season’s countdown began on Monday, June 16 and will continue throughout the summer.
Be sure to check AUTrojans.com during the offseason to relive all the highlights of another successful year at Anderson.
Softball Clinches Share of Regular-Season Title with Sweep of Coker
April 18, 2014
HARTSVILLE, S.C. – Senior first baseman Danielle Swygert homered twice and drove in five runs, while sophomore Molly Child added four hits on the afternoon to help lead the Anderson softball team to a doubleheader sweep of Coker, 2-1 and 8-5, in the Trojans’ final regular-season South Atlantic Conference doubleheader, Friday afternoon at Saleeby-Stokes Field.
Anderson (38-10, 16-6 SAC) has won 14 of its last 15 outings and 17 of its last 20 contests en route to setting a new school record for regular-season victories.
Coupled with Lenoir-Rhyne’s split at Tusculum, the Trojans earned at least a share of the South Atlantic Conference regular-season championship.
If Wingate sweeps Lincoln Memorial Saturday afternoon, the Bulldogs would earn a share of the title, along with AU and Lenoir-Rhyne.
Coker (16-27, 5-17 SAC) ended its season by dropping six consecutive decisions and 11 of its final 12 contests.
Anderson 2, Coker 1
Swygert blasted a pair of solo home runs – her eighth and ninth round-trippers of the campaign – while driving in two runs and scoring twice. Junior second baseman Jessica Neidigh and sophomore Courtney Czentnar each posted a single in the opener.
Junior Katelynn Howser (15-5) earned the win in the circle with her ninth complete game of the season. The right-hander surrendered one unearned run on just three hits, while walking three and striking out two.
Swygert’s led off the second inning with her eighth homer of the season and added her second solo shot with one out in the fourth inning to give Anderson a 2-0 advantage. The Cobras answered by capitalizing on a pair of defensive lapses by the Trojans to trim the AU lead to 2-1 in the bottom of the fourth frame.
Coker threatened again in the bottom of the sixth, but the Trojans escaped unharmed and Howser retired the Cobras in order in the bottom of the seventh inning, as AU held on for the win.
Anderson 8, Coker 5
Molly Child was 4-for-5, with four singles, an RBI and scored three times in the nightcap, while Swygert extended her hitting streak to eight games by adding a double, a single, a pair of walks and three RBI. Czentnar was 2-for-4 with two RBI and junior Bri Cason tallied a pair of singles. Senior Abby Child finished with two singles and a run scored.
Freshman Augie Pena started the nightcap and allowed three earned runs on four hits in 1 1/3 innings of work. Fellow freshman Lauren Rudesheim (16-4) earned the win by tossing 5 2/3 innings of relief. She surrendered two runs (one earned) on seven hits, while striking out three and walking one.
Coker jumped out to a 3-1 lead after two innings, but the Trojans began to rally, plating a of runs to even the score in the third inning on Swygert’s two-out, two-run double to right-center. However, Coker answered quickly with a solo run in the bottom of the third frame to briefly regain a 4-3 edge.
But Anderson countered by batting around in the fourth inning, as the Trojans capitalized on three singles, a pair of walks and a double to push four runs across the plate and claim a 7-4 lead.
The Cobras answered with an unearned run in the fifth to close within two runs, but Czentnar’s sixth-inning run-scoring double plated Molly Child with the final run of the contest, with AU taking the victory.
AUTrojans.com’s Most Memorable Moments of 2013-14
25. Women’s Tennis 6, Carson-Newman 3 – April 11, 2014
24. Setro Finishes Sixth at State Farm Intercollegiate – Oct. 14, 2013
23. Baseball 5, Southern Wesleyan 2 - March 5, 2014
22. Women’s Cross Country Finishes 4th at SAC Championships - Oct. 14, 2013
21. Katie Eskew Earns All-Tournament Honors at Patsy Rendleman Invitational – Oct. 15, 2013
20. Men's Tennis 5, Erskine 4 - April 10, 2014
19. Men’s Cross Country Finishes Third at SAC Championships – Oct. 26, 2013
18. Women’s Soccer 1, Lincoln Memorial 0 – Oct. 19, 2013
17. Freshman Ben Boerma Sets School Record in 5000 meter (Outdoor) – March 21, 2014
16. Jones Drains Game-Winning Shot to Lift Trojans over Carson-Newman – Jan. 29, 2014
15. Men’s Soccer 2, Young Harris 1 – Sept. 11, 2013
14. Swygert’s Walk-Off Grand Slam Propels Trojans to Sweep of Tusculum - April 1, 2014
13. Women’s Basketball 71, Lenoir-Rhyne 70 – Nov. 23, 2013
12. Baseball 8, Erskine 7 – April 21, 2014
11. Men’s Basketball Stuns 13th-Ranked Railsplitters With Second-Half Rally – Nov. 26, 2013
10. Abby Child’s Walk-off Home Run Lifts AU Past Catawba in SAC Tournament – April 26, 2014
9. Women's Basketball 71, Lincoln Memorial 64 - March 5, 2014
8. Men's Soccer 1, Mars Hill 0 - Nov. 8, 2013
7. Volleyball Upsets Tusculum, 3-2 – Nov. 23, 2013
6. Men’s Basketball 100, Coker 89 – March 8, 2014
5. Wrestling's Hale Qualifies for NCAA Championships - March 1, 2014
4. Volleyball Defeats Tusculum, 3-1, in NCAA Regional - Dec. 5, 2013
3. Softball Sweeps Coker, 2-1 and 8-5 – April 18, 2014