For the first time, AUTrojans.com is counting down Anderson University athletics’ 25 most memorable games, matches and meets from the 2013-14 academic year. This season’s countdown began on Monday, June 16 and will continue throughout the summer.
Be sure to check AUTrojans.com during the offseason to relive all the highlights of another successful year at Anderson.
Seniors Propel Trojans Past Erskine in Extra Innings, 8-7
April 21, 2014
ANDERSON, S.C. – Despite seeing archrival Erskine take leads in the ninth and 11th innings, Anderson University answered both deficits and captured an 8-7 walk-off victory as the program’s seniors took part in their final home game Monday evening at Anderson Memorial Stadium.
With the victory, the Trojans close the regular season with a 19-30 overall record as they prepare for their first ever trip to the Food Lion South Atlantic Conference Tournament on Thursday. Erskine drops to 32-12 overall as it heads into the Conference Carolinas Tournament later this week.
Anderson started nine seniors for the day, as the senior-led outfield of Nathan Galliford, Paul Como and Josh Hickman combined for eight of AU’s 14 hits for the evening, highlighted by two extra-base hits from Galliford, including a walk-off double. Junior Ryan Mills, who started at first base, posted two hits, including a two-run double in the seventh inning.
Jonathan Zalud, who was also playing in his final game at Memorial Stadium, recorded a sixth-inning double, as the catcher has now tallied a hit in seven of his last eight contests. Seniors Ben Pendleton and Harrison Monda each nabbed a hit, while the duo combined for two RBI and two runs scored.
On the mound, senior right-hander Will Walls completed five innings and held the Flying Fleet scoreless on two hits. Walls faced just 20 Erskine hitters in the span and struck out three in his first start of the year. Freshman Hunter Crompton came into pitch in the sixth and shutdown the Erskine attack for three innings until the Fleet offense, which ranks first in Conference Carolinas in average (.341), came alive in the top-half of the ninth inning with six runs on six hits for their first lead of the contest.
Facing the deficit, Anderson answered with two outs in the bottom of the frame when Galliford split the right-center field gap with his first triple of the season. When Erskine tried to relay the ball from the outfield, the throw got away from the EC defense and Galliford scored on the defensive miscue. Unable to score following the run, the game headed into extra innings knotted up at 6-6.
After a scoreless 10th inning, the visitors found the scoreboard once again when substitute Hanlon Maivelett singled, bringing in Zack Jones and giving Erskine a one-run lead.
With the game on the line for the second time, AU responded in the bottom-half as Monda drew an inning-opening walk. Sophomore Steven Cooper came in to pinch hit on the ensuing at-bat and single to right field, advancing Monda to third.
Next, Mills sent a single through the right side, scoring Monda from third and placing Cooper on second. With an out in the inning, Galliford made the most of his final at-bat at Memorial Stadium with a double to left-center field, scoring Cooper and giving AU the win in its regular season finale.
For the second time this season, the Trojans outhit Conference Carolinas’ top-hitting team, with a 14-13 advantage for the evening. Monday marked the 27th time the Trojan offense has recorded double figure hits for a game.
AUTrojans.com’s Most Memorable Moments of 2013-14
25. Women’s Tennis 6, Carson-Newman 3 – April 11, 2014
24. Setro Finishes Sixth at State Farm Intercollegiate – Oct. 14, 2013
23. Baseball 5, Southern Wesleyan 2 - March 5, 2014
22. Women’s Cross Country Finishes 4th at SAC Championships - Oct. 14, 2013
21. Katie Eskew Earns All-Tournament Honors at Patsy Rendleman Invitational – Oct. 15, 2013
20. Men's Tennis 5, Erskine 4 - April 10, 2014
19. Men’s Cross Country Finishes Third at SAC Championships – Oct. 26, 2013
18. Women’s Soccer 1, Lincoln Memorial 0 – Oct. 19, 2013
17. Freshman Ben Boerma Sets School Record in 5000 meter (Outdoor) – March 21, 2014
16. Jones Drains Game-Winning Shot to Lift Trojans over Carson-Newman – Jan. 29, 2014
15. Men’s Soccer 2, Young Harris 1 – Sept. 11, 2013
14. Swygert’s Walk-Off Grand Slam Propels Trojans to Sweep of Tusculum - April 1, 2014
13. Women’s Basketball 71, Lenoir-Rhyne 70 – Nov. 23, 2013
12. Baseball 8, Erskine 7 – April 21, 2014