For the first time, AUTrojans.com is counting down Anderson University athletics’ 25 most memorable games, matches and meets from the 2013-14 academic year. This season’s countdown began on Monday, June 16 and will continue throughout the summer.
Be sure to check AUTrojans.com during the offseason to relive all the highlights of another successful year at Anderson.
Freshman Ben Boerma Sets School Record in the Men’s 5000 meter (Outdoor) at Charlotte’s 49er Classic
March 22, 2014
CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Buoyed by a school-record effort from freshman Ben Boerma, the Anderson University s and men’s track and field team wrapped up the 49er Classic, hosted by Charlotte at the Irwin Belk Track & Field facility.
On Friday, newcomer Ben Boerma posted a new school record in the men’s 5000 meter run, with fellow freshman Eric Hoover earning 41st in the men’s javelin throw with a distance of 36.17 meters.
Boerma crossed the finish line in a school-record time of 15:35.98 in the 5000 meters to garner 48th overall, with senior Parks Edwards bringing home 60th in a time of 15:48.69. Freshman Ned Kennedy (15:51.94) claimed 63rd, while Westley Wilson (16:04.58) and newcomer Michael Burch (17:14.47) finished 74th and 90th, respectively.
Saturday’s events saw freshman Caleb Knight take 99th in the 200 meter prelims with a time of 23.94, while crossing the line in 64th in the 400 meter prelims in a time of 52.28.
The 1500 meter finals saw freshmen Thomas Garrigan (4:10.28) and Jesse Patrick place 63rd and 104th, respectively. Freshman Jonathan Shorter finished 38th in the 400 meter hurdle prelims in a time of 1:00.79, with freshman Eric Hoover claiming 43rd in the discus throw by tallying a distance of 29.84 meters.
Shorter (18.17) finished 44th in the 110 meter hurdles prelims, with freshman Malik Brown (18.22) just behind in 45th.
“I was very pleased with our performances,” said Anderson head coach Randy Greer following Friday’s events. “The kids came out and performed well after the break from our last indoor meet."
Junior Joshua Visi-Clark claimed 38th in the men’s 800 meter finals in a time of 1:59.33, with Hoover garnering 28th in the triple jump with a distance of 12.33 meters.
AUTrojans.com’s Most Memorable Moments of 2013-14
25. Women’s Tennis 6, Carson-Newman 3 – April 11, 2014
24. Setro Finishes Sixth at State Farm Intercollegiate – Oct. 14, 2013
23. Baseball 5, Southern Wesleyan 2 - March 5, 2014
22. Women’s Cross Country Finishes 4th at SAC Championships - Oct. 14, 2013
21. Katie Eskew Earns All-Tournament Honors at Patsy Rendleman Invitational – Oct. 15, 2013
20. Men's Tennis 5, Erskine 4 - April 10, 2014
19. Men’s Cross Country Finishes Third at SAC Championships – Oct. 26, 2013
18. Women’s Soccer 1, Lincoln Memorial 0 – Oct. 19, 2013
17. Freshman Ben Boerma Sets School Record in 5000 meter (Outdoor) - March 21, 2014