MARS HILL, N.C. – The Anderson University men’s tennis team rallied from an early deficit to defeat Mars Hill 6-3 in South Atlantic Conference action Sunday afternoon at the Hart Tennis Courts.
Anderson improved to 4-3 overall and 4-0 in the league with its second straight win, while Mars Hill fell to 1-3 and 0-1.
The Lions won two-of-three doubles’ points, but for the second time in as many days, AU rallied to claim the team victory.
Anderson’s Krystof Gulbinovic defeated.the Lions’ Lucas Simm 7-6, 7-5, at the No. 2 flight to start the rally, while senior Daniel Gonzalez downed MHC’s Michael Melvill, 6-0, 6-1, at the No. 3 slot.
AU’s Loic Ambroise rallied for a 2-6, 6-1, 13-11 win past Sam Lee at No. 4, with Paul Calhoun posting his second win of the day by defeating Zach High in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1 at the No. 5 spot. Inaki Iriberry earned his fifth win in a row by defeating Joel Sturgis, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 6.
Anderson will get back on the courts on Tuesday, as the Trojans play host to Catawba. First-serve is scheduled for 2 p.m. at the Max Grubbs Memorial Courts.
Tennis Match Results
Anderson vs Mars Hill
Feb 24, 2013 at Mars Hill, N.C.
(Hart Tennis Courts)
Anderson 6, Mars Hill 3
1. Euquerio Guerrero (MHCM) def. Abdoulaye Camara (AU-M) 6-7, 6-3, 15-13
2. Krystof Gulbinovic (AU-M) def. Lucas Simm (MHCM) 7-6, 7-5
3. Daniel Gonzalez (AU-M) def. Michael Melvill (MHCM) 6-0, 6-1
4. Loic Ambroise (AU-M) def. Sam Lee (MHCM) 2-6, 6-1, 13-11
5. Paul Calhoun (AU-M) def. Zach High (MHCM) 6-1, 6-1
6. Inaki Iriberry (AU-M) def. Joel Sturgis (MHCM) 6-3, 6-2
1. Lucas Simm/Euquerio Guerrero (MHCM) def. Abdoulaye Camara/Jerome Branker (AU-M) 8-6
2. Paul Calhoun/Krystof Gulbinovic (AU-M) def. Michael Melvill/Joel Sturgis (MHCM) 8-3
3. Sam Lee/Zach High (MHCM) def. Daniel Gonzalez/Danilo Faria (AU-M) 8-4
Anderson 4-3/4-0 SAC
Mars Hill 1-3/0-1 SAC