ANDERSON, S.C. – Anderson fell to Coker, 6-3, in non-conference men’s tennis action Saturday afternoon at the Max Grubbs Memorial Courts.
The season-opening match for both teams saw the Cobras take a 2-1 edge following the doubles’ action, with Anderson’s Krystof Gulbinovic and Paul Calhoun teaming up at the No. 2 slot to defeat Coker’s Tom Sizeland and William Marrafao.
AU senior Daniel Gonzalez posted a straight-set, 7-6, 6-2 win past the Cobras’ Marrafao at No. 3 singles, while fellow senior Loic Ambriose earned a 6-1, 6-0 win over Coker’s George Handy at No. 4, but the Cobras notched wins at No. 1, 2, 5 and 6 to claim the win.
Anderson will get back on the courts Sunday, when the Trojans visit Columbus State. First-serve is scheduled for 2 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Coker College vs Anderson
Feb 02, 2013 at Anderson, S.C.
(Max Grubbs Memorial Courts)
Coker College 6, Anderson 3
1. Andre Staab (COKERMT) def. Abdoulaye Camara (AU-M) 6-1, 7-6
2. Tom Sizeland (COKERMT) def. Krystof Gulbinovic (AU-M) 2-6, 7-5, 6-2
3. Daniel Gonzalez (AU-M) def. William Marrafao (COKERMT) 7-6, 6-2
4. Loic Ambroise (AU-M) def. George Handy (COKERMT) 6-1, 6-0
5. James Corfield (COKERMT) def. Paul Calhoun (AU-M) 6-3, 6-4
6. Martin Moncayo (COKERMT) def. Alex Wallace (AU-M) 6-3, 7-5
1. Andre Staab/George Handy (COKERMT) def. Abdoulaye Camara/Daniel Gonzalez (AU-M) 9-8
2. Krystof Gulbinovic/Paul Calhoun (AU-M) def. Tom Sizeland/William Marrafao (COKERMT) 8-6
3. James Corfield/Martin Moncayo (COKERMT) def. Loic Ambroise/Danilo Faria (AU-M) 8-3
Coker College 1-0