Most Memorable Moments of 2013-14: No. 8July 9, 2014
For the first time, AUTrojans.com is counting down Anderson University athletics’ 25 most memorable games, matches and meets from the 2013-14 academic year. This season’s countdown began on Monday, June 16 and will continue throughout the summer.
Be sure to check AUTrojans.com during the offseason to relive all the highlights of another successful year at Anderson.
Trojans Move On to SAC Final, Defeat MHU 1-0
November 8, 2013
ROCK HILL, S.C. – Junior Martin Brain knocked in a 62nd minute penalty kick, as seventh-seeded Anderson University men’s soccer eliminated sixth-seeded Mars Hill 1-0 to advance to the 2013 Food Lion South Atlantic Conference final on Sunday at Manchester Meadows.
Brain continued his scoring spree after scoring the lone goal in a 1-0 win over third-seeded Wingate in the quarterfinals on Tuesday. The win increases AU’s SAC tournament record to 11-0 all-time and continues Anderson’s search for a fourth straight conference tournament championship. Overall, the Trojans are 12-5-3 overall.
After the teams went into halftime scoreless, AU forward Aaron Robinson got by the MHU backline and was taken down in the Lion box. Brain stepped up and pushed a shot in the left corner for the match’s first goal.
Anderson’s backline contained the Mars Hill attack for the reminder of the match, limiting the Lions to just four shots for the final 28 minutes. Freshman goalkeeper Bo Haug made just one save for the rest of the match.
Despite the win, Anderson was outshot by the Lions, 13-10. Pacing the Trojans on shots with a trio of attackers, as Brain, redshirt sophomore Andre Carle and redshirt freshman Alex Delpy each had three for the night. Carle, Brain and graduate student Bernd Muxel each troubled MHU goalkeeper Chris Mitchell once.
Mitchell’s counterpart, Haug, recorded five saves on the afternoon and his sixth shutout of the season. Haug now has back-to-back clean sheets for the tournament, making 11 saves in the last two contests. With the victory, the freshman is now 11-5-3 on the season.
“Tonight was a hard fought win for us, tournament games are usually awkward and this was no exception,” head coach John Murphy said. “We started slowly, which gave Mars Hill an advantage, but in the second half we came out brighter and had movement of the ball. We defended well and Haug made some good saves. We have to recover prepare mentality and physically for, what should be, an exciting final against Queens.”
AUTrojans.com’s Most Memorable Moments of 2013-14
25. Women’s Tennis 6, Carson-Newman 3 – April 11, 2014
24. Setro Finishes Sixth at State Farm Intercollegiate – Oct. 14, 2013
23. Baseball 5, Southern Wesleyan 2 - March 5, 2014
22. Women’s Cross Country Finishes 4th at SAC Championships - Oct. 14, 2013
21. Katie Eskew Earns All-Tournament Honors at Patsy Rendleman Invitational – Oct. 15, 2013
20. Men's Tennis 5, Erskine 4 - April 10, 2014
19. Men’s Cross Country Finishes Third at SAC Championships – Oct. 26, 2013
18. Women’s Soccer 1, Lincoln Memorial 0 – Oct. 19, 2013
17. Freshman Ben Boerma Sets School Record in 5000 meter (Outdoor) – March 21, 2014
16. Jones Drains Game-Winning Shot to Lift Trojans over Carson-Newman – Jan. 29, 2014
15. Men’s Soccer 2, Young Harris 1 – Sept. 11, 2013
14. Swygert’s Walk-Off Grand Slam Propels Trojans to Sweep of Tusculum - April 1, 2014
13. Women’s Basketball 71, Lenoir-Rhyne 70 – Nov. 23, 2013
12. Baseball 8, Erskine 7 – April 21, 2014
11. Men’s Basketball Stuns 13th-Ranked Railsplitters With Second-Half Rally – Nov. 26, 2013
10. Abby Child’s Walk-off Home Run Lifts AU Past Catawba in SAC Tournament – April 26, 2014
9. Women's Basketball 71, Lincoln Memorial 64 - March 5, 2014
8. Men's Soccer 1, Mars Hill 0 - Nov. 8, 2013