Most Memorable Moments of 2013-14: No. 15June 30, 2014
For the first time, AUTrojans.com is counting down Anderson University athletics’ 25 most memorable games, matches and meets from the 2013-14 academic year. This season’s countdown began on Monday, June 16 and will continue throughout the summer.
Be sure to check AUTrojans.com during the offseason to relive all the highlights of another successful year at Anderson.
Schyberg, Trojans Knock Off Young Harris, 2-1
September 11, 2013
ANDERSON, S.C. – Junior Mattias Schyberg’s 102nd minute double overtime golden goal propelled Anderson University men’s soccer to a 2-1 victory over Young Harris Wednesday afternoon at Trojan Stadium.
The key region win moves the Trojans to 3-0 on the early season as they have outscored their opponents 13-4 in the trio of matches. The victory also gives AU its first double-overtime victory since the 2011 season when the Trojans knocked off Tusculum on Oct. 15.
“This match is a very good lesson for us,” head coach John Murphy said. “I thought in the first two games we were very expansive and created a lot of chances and a lot of goals. We needed a game like this where we needed to tighten up.”
Despite the action at the end of the second overtime period, the Trojans opened scoring in the 42nd minute when AU was awarded a free kick within the Young Harris defending zone. Redshirt sophomore Benoit Torres chipped in a pass and nicked the head of freshman Paul von Hinueber to give Anderson the 1-0 lead. For von Hinueber, the goal was his third on the season, as the freshman has now scored a goal in each of the three matches to begin the year.
In what looked to be a Trojan victory, the Mountain Lions got their equalizer off a play similar to AU’s opening goal. Off a free kick, Niall McCabe found Paco Craig in the box who headed the ball to an open Illja Ilic who scored on the empty net. The Lion goal came with just 27 seconds left in regulation, as it was Ilic’s third goal of the season.
After a first overtime period that saw no goals, Schyberg’s winner came off a long pass that scooted past the YHC backline. Schyberg was able to control the long ball, made a 15-yard run and fired the game-winner behind Lion goalkeeper Pedro Ozi. The golden goal was Schyberg’s second tally of the season.
“I thought the backline, Stefan Veljovic in particular, was magnificent,” Murphy said. “He played like a senior and as good as I have ever seen him.”
Goalkeeper Bo Haug earns his second win of the season, making eight saves, while redshirt sophomore Andre Carle led the team in shots with three.
AUTrojans.com’s Most Memorable Moments of 2013-14
25. Women’s Tennis 6, Carson-Newman 3 – April 11, 2014
24. Setro Finishes Sixth at State Farm Intercollegiate – Oct. 14, 2013
23. Baseball 5, Southern Wesleyan 2 - March 5, 2014
22. Women’s Cross Country Finishes 4th at SAC Championships - Oct. 14, 2013
21. Katie Eskew Earns All-Tournament Honors at Patsy Rendleman Invitational – Oct. 15, 2013
20. Men's Tennis 5, Erskine 4 - April 10, 2014
19. Men’s Cross Country Finishes Third at SAC Championships – Oct. 26, 2013
18. Women’s Soccer 1, Lincoln Memorial 0 – Oct. 19, 2013
17. Freshman Ben Boerma Sets School Record in 5000 meter (Outdoor) – March 21, 2014
16. Jones Drains Game-Winning Shot to Lift Trojans over Carson-Newman – Jan. 29, 2014
15. Men’s Soccer 2, Young Harris 1 – Sept. 11, 2013