SAC to Eliminate Conference Scholarship LimitsSeptember 19, 2013
ROCK HILL, S.C. – Beginning in the 2014-15 academic year, the SAC will eliminate conference-mandated financial aid limits and adhere to the NCAA maximum equivalencies, per a vote of the league’s Presidents Council last week, and announced by the conference on Thursday.
It will mark the first time since the SAC became a multi-sport conference in 1989 that member institutions will be able to provide financial aid up to the NCAA maximums. Current SAC scholarship limits are below those set by the NCAA.
NCAA financial aid maximum equivalencies differ among sports. A complete breakdown of the NCAA’s sport-by-sport financial aid maximums is below.
“This was not an easy decision for our conference presidents,” said SAC commissioner Patrick Britz. “The athletic directors and presidents have discussed this possibility for many years and, while some schools did not support the decision, we will move forward together as a unified group and continue to strive to be the premier Division II conference in the country.”
Other highlights from the recent SAC Presidents Council meeting include:
- An official Associate Membership policy will be incorporated into the SAC bylaws.
- The 2014 SAC annual meeting and Hall of Fame banquet will be held June 4-6 at the Renaissance Hotel in downtown Asheville, N.C.
- Starting in 2014, one distinguished alumnus or alumna will be inducted into the SAC Hall of Fame every year along with the inductees being recognized for their athletic accomplishments, coaching achievements or service to the SAC.
- Future initiatives for the SAC include an external branding and marketing assessment and the development of a new strategic plan.
- With 50-percent of the current SAC membership now sponsoring men’s and women’s swimming, it will be considered for adoption as an official SAC championship sport.
NCAA Division II Financial Aid Maximums
SAC Sport NCAA Maximum Equivalency
Men's Cross Country/Track & Field 5.0/12.6
Men's Basketball 10
Men's Golf 3.6
Men’s Lacrosse 10.8
Men’s Soccer 9
Men’s Tennis 4.5
Women’s Cross Country/Track & Field 6.0/12.6
Women’s Basketball 10
Women’s Lacrosse 9.9
Women's Soccer 9.9
Women's Golf 5.4
Women's Tennis 6