Third-Seeded Trojans Rally to Top Second-Seeded Tusculum in SAC Women's SemifinalsApril 20, 2013
ROCK HILL, S.C. – After an overnight delay due to inclement weather, the third-seeded Anderson Trojans rallied for a 5-2 win past second-seeded Tusculum in the semifinals of the 2013 Food Lion South Atlantic Conference Women’s Tennis Tournament Saturday morning at the Rock Hill Tennis Center.
The women’s semifinals were halted on Friday following doubles’ action with Tusculum holding a 2-1 edge, but the Trojans rallied to win four consecutive singles’ matches and move into the semifinals, where they will meet top-seeded Wingate at 3 p.m. Saturday afternoon.
Anderson improved to 13-5 overall with its fourth consecutive victory, while Tusculum (16-4), had its win streak halted at seven.
In Friday’s doubles’ action, the Tusculum duo of Emily Waters and Amanda Sumner earned a hard-fought 8-6 win past the Trojans’ Alexandra Ebner and Marcela Gallegos at the No. 3 doubles’ flight, while Kate Hutchinson and Adrienne Kaye claimed an 8-1 win at the No. 1 doubles’ flight to give TC an early 2-0 lead. But AU’s Lindsay Gregory and Camie Beaulieu-Brunet held off Tusculum’s Taylor Patterson and Katie Hillis, 9-8, at the No. 2 slot to set the score at 2-1 heading into Saturday’s singles’ play.
Anderson’s Lindsay Gregory sparked the rally by defeating Adrienne Kaye, 6-0, 6-2, at the No. 5 flight, while the Trojans’ Avery Owens outlasted Kate Hutchinson, 6-2, 7-5, at No. 1 singles. At the No. 2 doubles flight, Karen Ching topped Taylor Patterson, 7-5, 6-1, while AU’s Camie Beaulieu-Brunet clinched the match by rallying for a 3-6, 6-2, 6-1 win past Erin Mills at No. 3.
Tennis Match Results
Anderson vs Tusculum
Apr 19, 2013 at Rock Hill, S.C.
(Rock Hill Tennis Center)
Anderson 5, Tusculum 2
1. Avery Owens (AU-W) def. Kate Hutchinson (TCW) 6-2, 7-5
2. Karen Ching (AU-W) def. Taylor Patterson (TCW) 7-5, 6-1
3. Camie Beaulieu-Brune (AU-W) def. Erin Mills (TCW) 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
4. Emily Waters (TCW) vs. Hannah Ecleberry (AU-W) 5-7, 6-4, 1-0, unfinished
5. Lindsay Gregory (AU-W) def. Adrienne Kaye (TCW) 6-0, 6-2
6. Lauren Trumbull (AU-W) vs. Megan Buckmaster (TCW) no result
1. Kate Hutchinson/Adrienne Kaye (TCW) def. Karen Ching/Avery Owens (AU-W) 8-1
2. Lindsay Gregory/Camie Beaulieu-Brune (AU-W) def. Taylor Patterson/Erin Mills (TCW) 9-8
3. Emily Waters/Amanda Sumner (TCW) def. Alexandra Ebner/Marcela Gallegos (AU-W) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,1,2,3)
2013 Food Li