Women's Tennis Shuts Out CatawbaMarch 20, 2013
ANDERSON, S.C. – The Anderson women’s tennis team bounced back from Tuesday’s setback to Augusta State by winning its fourth consecutive South Atlantic Conference match, 9-0, over visiting Catawba, Wednesday afternoon at the Max Grubbs Memorial Courts.
Anderson improved to 8-3 overall and 6-1 in the league, while notching its fourth overall win in the last five matches. Catawba slipped to 11-6 overall and 2-3 in the conference.
The Trojan duo of Karen Ching and Avery Owens stayed undefeated in doubles’ action on the season by holding off Catawba’s Liz Renteria and Sloan Kessler, 9-8, at the No.1 flight, with Owens improving to 10-1 on the season in singles’ action by defeating Renteria in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 1 singles.
Junior Lauren Trumbull stayed perfect in conference play with her fifth straight win, topping Andrea Bell, 6-0, 6-1, at No. six singles, while senior Camie Beaulieu-Brunet edged Lauren Sledd, 6-3, 4-6 (10-7), for her fourth consecutive victory. Sophomore Lindsay Gregory posted a 6-1, 6-0, win over Olivia Myers at the No. five slot for her fourth victory in a row, as well.
Anderson will get back on the courts on Friday, when the Trojans visit league-opponent Brevard. First-serve is scheduled for 2 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Catawba vs Anderson
Mar 20, 2013 at Anderson, S.C.
(Max Grubbs Courts)
Anderson 9, Catawba 0
1. Avery Owens (AU-W) def. Liz Renteria (CATW) 6-1, 6-1
2. Karen Ching (AU-W) def. Sloan Kessler (CATW) 6-0, 6-1
3. Camie Beaulieu-Brunet (AU-W) def. Lauren Sledd (CATW) 6-3, 4-6, 10-7
4. Hannah Ecleberry (AU-W) def. Ally Prior (CATW) 6-3, 6-0
5. Lindsay Gregory (AU-W) def. Olivia Myers (CATW) 6-1, 6-0
6. Lauren Trumbull (AU-W) def. Andrea Bell (CATW) 6-0, 6-1
1. Karen Ching/Avery Owens (AU-W) def. Liz Renteria/Sloan Kessler (CATW) 9-8
2. Camie Beaulieu-Brunet/Alexandra Ebner (AU-W) def. Ally Prior/Lauren Sledd (CATW) 8-1
3. Lindsay Gregory/Hannah Ecleberry (AU-W) def. Andrea Bell/Rachel Rudisill (CATW) 8-3
Catawba 11-6, 2-3
Anderson 8-3, 6-1