Women's Tennis Falls to Augusta StateMarch 19, 2013
ANDERSON, S.C. – The Anderson women’s tennis team had its three-match win streak halted with a 5-3 loss to visiting Augusta State in nonconference action Tuesday afternoon at the Max Grubbs Memorial Courts.
Anderson dropped to 7-3 on the season, while Augusta State improved to 12-3 with its ninth straight win.
The Trojan duo of Karen Ching and Avery Owens remained undefeated on the season by earning an 8-2 win past the Jaguars’ Victoria Lindqvist and Liv Pettersson at the No. 1 slot, but Augusta State claimed the remaining two doubles’ points, taking an early 2-1 advantage.
Owens notched her second win of the afternoon and eighth consecutive singles’ victory by dispatching Pettersson in straight sets, 6-4, 6-3, at the No. 2 flight. Senior Camie Beaulieu-Brunet claimed the remaining singles’ victory for the Trojans with a 6-3, 6-2 decision past ASU’s Maria C. Pimentel at the No. 4 flight. The win was Beaulieu-Brunet’s third straight.
Anderson will get back on the courts Wednesday, when the Trojans play host to South Atlantic Conference opponent Catawba at 2 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Augusta State vs Anderson
Mar 19, 2013 at Anderson, S.C.
(Max Grubbs Courts)
Augusta State 5, Anderson 3
1. Victoria Lindqvist (ASU) def. Karen Ching (AU-W) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
2. Avery Owens (AU-W) def. Liv Pettersson (ASU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Roberta Oliveira (ASU) def. Hannah Ecleberry (AU-W) 6-1, 6-3
4. Camie Beaulieu-Brunet (AU-W) def. Maria C. Pimentel (ASU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Lindsay Gregory (AU-W) vs. Julie Fontaine (ASU) unfinished
6. Lissa Murakami (ASU) def. Marcela Gallegos (AU-W) 6-3, 6-2
1. Karen Ching/Avery Owens (AU-W) def. Victoria Lindqvist/Liv Pettersson (ASU) 8-2
2. Roberta Oliveira/Julie Fontaine (ASU) def. Camie Beaulieu-Brunet/Lindsay Gregory (AU-W) 8-2
3. Lissa Murakami/Maria C. Pimentel (ASU) def. Hannah Ecleberry/Alexandra Ebner (AU-W) 8-3
Augusta State 12-3