Women's Tennis Rolls Past Carson-NewmanMarch 5, 2013
JEFFERSON CITY, Tenn. – The 50th-ranked Anderson University women’s tennis team swept all six singles matches en route to an 8-1 win over Carson-Newman in South Atlantic Conference play Monday afternoon at the Carson-Newman Tennis Courts.
Anderson improved to 6-2 overall and 4-1 in the conference by winning its second straight and fifth in its last six outings. Carson-Newman fell to 2-4 overall and 0-1 in the league.
The Trojan duo of Hannah Ecleberry and Camie Beaulieu-Brunet teamed up for the first time this season to outlast the Eagles’ Brooke Sanderson and Megan Wilso, 8-5, at the No. three flight, while AU’s Karen Ching and Avery Owens followed by defeating Stefy Stand and Patricia Guerreiro, 8-4, at No. 1. Carson-Newman’s tandem of Jennifer Ott and Haleigh Chastain edged Lindsay Gregory and Alexandra Ebner, 9-8 (6-0), at the No. two slot.
Leading 2-1 following doubles’ action, the Trojans lost just two sets, with Owens claiming her sixth straight singles’ victory and Ching earning her fourth consecutive win.
Anderson will get back on the courts Friday, when the Trojans visit Lincoln Memorial. First-serve is scheduled for 2 p.m.
Anderson 8, Carson-Newman 1
1. Karen Ching (AU-W) def. Stefy Stand (C-N) 4-6, 6-0, 10-7
2. Avery Owens (AU-W) def. Patricia Guerreiro (C-N) 6-4, 6-4
3. Hannah Ecleberry (AU-W) def. Haleigh Chastain (C-N) 6-2, 6-1
4. Alexandra Ebner (AU-W) def. Jennifer Ott (C-N) 1-6, 7-5, 10-6
5. Lindsay Gregory (AU-W) def. Brooke Sanderson (C-N) 6-4, 7-6 (6-0)
6. Camie Beaulieu-Brunet (AU-W) def. Megan Wilson (C-N) 6-1, 6-2
1. Karen Ching/Avery Owens (AU-W) def. Stefy Stand/Patricia Guerreiro (C-N) 8-4
2. Jennifer Ott/Haleigh Chastain (C-N) def. Lindsay Gregory/Alexandra Ebner (AU-W) 9-8 (6-0)
3. Hannah Ecleberry/Camie Beaulieu-Brunet (AU-W) def. Brooke Sanderson/Megan Wilson (C-N) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,1,2,6,4,5)