Women's Tennis Falls to 29th-Ranked Wingate in SAC Tournament FinaleApril 21, 2012
ROCK HILL, S.C. – Top-seeded and 29th-ranked Wingate defeated No. 2 seed Anderson, 5-1, to earn its’ second consecutive Food Lion SAC women’s tennis tournament title Saturday morning at the Rock Hill Tennis Center.
Wingate improved to 18-4 and received the league’s automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament, while Anderson closed the season at 12-9.
Sophomore Olivia Poole and freshman Tiffany Williams got Wingate on the board with an 8-4 win in number two doubles, with the Trojan duo of senior Shelby Anderson and junior Camie Beaulieu-Brunet (AU-W) defeating the Bulldogs’ Ali Evers and Becca Thomas, 8-3, at the No. 1 doubles’ slot to earn AU’s lone win of the day. An 8-4 victory from sophomore Morgan Winston and junior Kelli Ferguson gave the Bulldogs a 2-1 lead heading to singles play.
Winston claimed a 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 4 singles to give the Bulldogs a 3-1 advantage and Thomas followed with a 6-3, 6-1 victory inat the No. 2 singles slot to make it 4-1. Williams earned the clinching win for the Bulldogs, winning 7-6, 6-3 at six singlesumber six singles, giving Wingate the victory.
Tennis Match Results
Anderson vs Wingate
Apr 21, 2012 at Rock Hill, S.C.
(Rock Hill Tennis Center)
Wingate 5, Anderson 1
1. Ali Evers (WU) vs. Camie Beaulieu-Brunet (AU-W) 0-6, 7-6 (7-1), 2-3, unfinished
2. Becca Thomas (WU) def. Clair Larkin (AU-W) 6-3, 6-1
3. Olivia Poole (WU) vs. Avery Owens (AU-W) 1-6, 6-3, 0-1, unfinished
4. Morgan Winston (WU) def. Shelby Anderson (AU-W) 6-2, 6-1
5. Kelli Ferguson (WU) vs. Lauren Trumbull (AU-W) 6-2, 3-3, unfinished
6. Tiffany Williams (WU) def. Lindsay Gregory (AU-W) 7-6 (7-3), 6-3
1. Shelby Anderson/Camie Beaulieu-Brunet (AU-W) def. Ali Evers/Becca Thomas (WU) 8-3
2. Olivia Poole/Tiffany Williams (WU) def. Clair Larkin/Lindsay Gregory (AU-W) 8-4
3. Morgan Winston/Kelli Ferguson (WU) def. Avery Owens/Bianca Chequin (AU-W) 8-4
Wingate 17-4; Regional ranking #6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,2,6)