Wingate Holds off AU Men's TennisApril 4, 2012
WINGATE, N.C. – In a battle between the top two teams in the South Atlantic Conference standings, Wingate parlayed a strong performance in singles’ action to edge Anderson, 5-4, in South Atlantic Conference men’s tennis action Tuesday afternoon at the Wingate Tennis Center.
Anderson (10-6, 8-1 SAC) dropped its first match in four outings, while maintaining a one-match cushion in the win column in the race for the league’s regular-season crown, with Wingate improving to 13-5 overall and 7-0 in the conference.
The Trojan duo of Krystof Gulbinovic and Deni Mehagic gave AU an early advantage by defeating Andrew Owen and Josh Eardley, 8-5, at the No. two doubles’ slot and Loic Ambroise teamed with Trey Halbauer for an 8-6 win at No. three to boost the Trojans’ advantage to 2-0 heading into single’s action.
But the Bulldogs claimed wins at the first four singles’ slots to notch the win, with Ambroise rallying to defeat Forbes, 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-3) at No. five, while Halbauer knocked off Eardley in straight sets at No. six, 6-3, 6-2.
Anderson travels to Limestone on Thursday for a non-conference matchup versus the Saints.
Tennis Match Results
Anderson vs Wingate
Apr 03, 2012 at Wingate, N.C.
(WU Tennis Complex)
Wingate 5, #30 Anderson 4
1. Flavio Rathsam (WU) def. Stan Atema (AU-M) 7-6 (7-4), 99-0
2. Andrew Owen (WU) def. Krystof Gulbinovic (AU-M) 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
3. Diego Martinez (WU) def. Deni Mehagic (AU-M) 6-1, 7-5
4. Neal Towlson (WU) def. Daniel Gonzalez (AU-M) 6-3, 6-3
5. Loic Ambroise (AU-M) def. Ryan Forbes (WU) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-3)
6. Trey Halbauer (AU-M) def. Josh Eardley (WU) 6-3, 6-2
1. Flavio Rathsam/Neal Towlson (WU) def. Stan Atema/Daniel Gonzalez (AU-M) 8-6
2. Krystof Gulbinovic/Deni Mehagic (AU-M) def. Andrew Owen/Josh Eardley (WU) 8-5
3. Loic Ambroise/Trey Halbauer (AU-M) def. Diego Martinez/Ryan Forbes (WU) 8-6
Anderson 10-6; 8-1 SAC; National ranking #30; Regional ranking #9
Wingate 13-5; 7-0 SAC; Regional ranking #7
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,1,2,4,6,5)