Anderson Defeats Brevard; Leads Conference StandingsMarch 29, 2012
ANDERSON, S.C. – Paced by a pair of wins on the afternoon by a trio of players, the Anderson University men’s tennis team downed Brevard, 6-3, in South Atlantic Conference action Wednesday afternoon at the Max Grubbs Memorial Courts.
Anderson (9-5, 7-0 SAC) claimed its fourth win in the past five matches, while Brevard slipped to 7-9 overall and 1-2 in conference play.
The Trojans earned a pair of doubles’ points, as junior Deni Mehagic and sophomore Krystof Gulbinovic earned their seventh win of the season by teaming up to defeat Rory Northam and Jonathon Lavelle, 8-2, at No. 2, while junior Loic Ambroise and sophomore Trey Halbauer won their eighth decision of the campaign by holding off Brevard’s George Finch and Stefano Giovanolli, 8-6, at No. 3.
At No. 3 singles, Gulbinovic earned his second win of the day by topping Northam, 7-6, 6-1, while AU’s Daniel Gonzalez outlasted the Tornados’ Finch, 6-2, 6-4, at No. 4.
Ambroise notched his eighth win in the last 10 matches by defeating Giovanolli in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 5 and Halbauer rolled past Rob Havens, 6-1, 6-0 at the No. 6 spot.
Anderson plays host to Tusculum on Saturday, with first-pitch scheduled for 1 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Brevard vs Anderson University
Mar 28, 2012 at Anderson, S.C.
(Max Grubbs Courts)
Anderson University 6, Brevard 3
1. Sam MacNeil (BCM) def. Stan Atema (AU-M) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
2. Beau Wills (BCM) def. Deni Mehagic (AU-M) 6-2, 6-7, 7-5
3. Krystof Gulbinovic (AU-M) def. Rory Northam (BCM) 7-6, 6-1
4. Daniel Gonzalez (AU-M) def. George Finch (BCM) 6-2, 6-4
5. Loic Ambroise (AU-M) def. Stefano Giovanolli (BCM) 6-1, 6-1
6. Trey Halbauer (AU-M) def. Rob Havens (BCM) 6-1, 6-0
1. Sam MacNeil/Beau Wills (BCM) def. Stan Atema/Daniel Gonzalez (AU-M) 8-6
2. Deni Mehagic/Krystof Gulbinovic (AU-M) def. Rory Northam/Jonathon Lavelle (BCM) 8-2
3. Loic Ambroise/Trey Halbauer (AU-M) def. George Finch/Stefano Giovanolli (BCM) 8-6
Brevard 7-9, 1-2 SAC
Anderson University 9-5, 7-0 SAC