Women's Tennis Stays Atop Conference Standings with Win Past BrevardMarch 29, 2012
ANDERSON, S.C. – Strong performances on the singles’ side lifted the Anderson University women’s tennis team to its second consecutive victory as the Trojans defeated Brevard, 6-3, in South Atlantic Conference play Wednesday afternoon at the Max Grubbs Memorial Courts.
With the win, Anderson improved to 9-6 overall and 7-0 in the league, while Brevard slipped to 9-6 and 2-1.
The Trojan duo of sophomore Avery Owens and freshman Bianca Chequin won their second straight decision and got AU on the scoreboard by defeating the Tornados’ Elise Labus and Ana Drummond, 8-1, at No. 3 doubles.
Anderson went on to capture five of six singles’ decisions in straight sets en route to claiming its third win in the last four outings.
Freshman Clair Larkin knocked off Brevard’s Lindsay Hostetter, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 2 singles, while Owens earned her second win of the day by topping Michelle Prata, 6-3, 6-0, at the No. 3 singles slot.
Senior Shelby Anderson kept the momentum going at No. 4 singles with a 6-2, 6-2 decision over Labus, with sophomore Lauren Trumbull posting a convincing 6-0, 6-1 win past Jennifer Nyman at No. 5. Freshman Lindsay Gregory posted a 6-1, 6-0 win past Drummond at No. 6.
Anderson plays host to Tusculum on Saturday, with first-pitch scheduled for 1 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Brevard vs Anderson University
Mar 28, 2012 at Anderson, S.C.
(Max Grubbs Courts)
Anderson University 6, Brevard 3
1. Claire Dillman (BCW) def. Camie Beaulieu-Brunet (AU-W) 6-2, 6-2
2. Clair Larkin (AU-W) def. Lindsay Hostetter (BCW) 6-2, 6-2
3. Avery Owens (AU-W) def. Michelle Prata (BCW) 6-3, 6-0
4. Shelby Anderson (AU-W) def. Elise Labus (BCW) 6-2, 6-2
5. Lauren Trumbull (AU-W) def. Jennifer Nyman (BCW) 6-0, 6-1
6. Lindsay Gregory (AU-W) def. Ana Drummond (BCW) 6-1, 6-0
1. Claire Dillman/Michelle Prata (BCW) def. Camie Beaulieu-Brunet/Shelby Anderson (AU-W) 9-7
2. Lindsay Hostetter/Jennifer Nyman (BCW) def. Lindsay Gregory/Clair Larkin (AU-W) 9-8
3. Avery Owens/Bianca Chequin (AU-W) def. Elise Labus/Ana Drummond (BCW) 8-1
Brevard 9-6, 2-1 SAC
Anderson University 9-6, 7-0 SAC