Anderson Cruises Past Newberry in Men's TennisMarch 24, 2012
ANDERSON, S.C. – A sweep on the doubles’ side and four singles’ victories propelled Anderson past Newberry, 7-2, in South Atlantic Conference men’s tennis action Saturday afternoon at the Max Grubbs Memorial Courts.
Anderson (8-5, 6-0 SAC) won its third match in the last four outings, while Newberry fell to 10-9 overall and 1-3 in the league.
The AU tandem of Stan Atema and Daniel Gonzalez improved to 3-1 in their last four matches by outlasting the Wolves’ Michael Saunders and Vinicius Botelho, 8-6, at No.1 doubles. Krystof Gulbinovic and Deni Mehagic improved to 6-6 on the season by knocking off Mohammed Chakir and Cal Loveridge, 8-4, at the No. two doubles’ slot, while Loic Ambroise and Trey Halbauer completed the doubles’ sweep by downing Newberry’s David Sons and Carlos Nicolopulos, 8-2, at No. 3.
Mehagic defeated Chakir in straight sets, 6-2, 6-0, at No. three singles and Gonzalez rallied for a three-set, 1-6, 6-3, 6-2 win over Cal Loveridge at the No. 4 spot. Ambroise won his second match of te afternoon with a 6-2, 6-2 win at No. five over Newberry’s Carlos Nicolopulos and Halbauer edged David Sons, 6-4, 5-2, at No. six.
Anderson will get back on the courts Wednesday, when the Trojans play host to league- opponent Brevard. First-serve is scheduled for 2 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Newberry vs Anderson (S.C.)
Mar 24, 2012 at Anderson, S.C.
(Max Grubbs Courts)
Anderson (S.C.) 7, Newberry 2
1. Michael Saunders (NEWM) def. Stan Atema (AU-M) 6-4, 2-6, 7-6
2. Vinicius Botelho (NEWM) def. Krystof Gulbinovic (AU-M) 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
3. Deni Mehagic (AU-M) def. Mohammed Chakir (NEWM) 6-2, 6-0
4. Daniel Gonzalez (AU-M) def. Cal Loveridge (NEWM) 1-6, 6-3, 6-2
5. Loic Ambroise (AU-M) def. Carlos Nicolopulos (NEWM) 6-2, 6-2
6. Trey Halbauer (AU-M) def. David Sons (NEWM) 6-4, 5-2
1. Stan Atema/Daniel Gonzalez (AU-M) def. Michael Saunders/Vinicius Botelho (NEWM) 8-6
2. Krystof Gulbinovic/Deni Mehagic (AU-M) def. Mohammed Chakir/Cal Loveridge (NEWM) 8-4
3. Loic Ambroise/Trey Halbauer (AU-M) def. David Sons/Carlos Nicolopulos (NEWM) 8-2
Newberry 10-9, 1-3 SAC
Anderson 8-5, 6-0 SAC