Trojans Win Fifth Straight Conference Match with Win Past Carson-NewmanMarch 20, 2012
ANDERSON, S.C. – The Anderson men’s tennis team ended a 12-day layoff by blanking Carson-Newman, 9-0, in South Atlantic Conference action Tuesday afternoon at the Max Grubbs Memorial Courts.
Anderson improved to 7-4 overall by winning its sixth match in the last seven and 4-0 in conference action, while handing Carson-Newman (6-4, 2-1 SAC) its’ first setback in the league.
In doubles’ action, junior Loic Ambroise and sophomore Trey Halbauer won their second straight and improved to 6-1 on the season by holding off Carson-Newman’s Derek Holdway and Austin Mackay, 8-5, at the No. 3 slot.
Junior Daniel Gonzalez held off Carson-Newman’s Paul Birdsong, 7-6, 6-3, at No. 4 for his second straight victory and at the No. 5 singles’ spot, Ambroise won his second straight and improved to 8-2 on the season by shutting out Eric Mueller, 6-0, 6-0, while Halbauer also won his second consecutive match and his sixth in the last eight by knocking off the Eagles’ Garrett Duron 6-2, 6-3 at No. 6.
Anderson has little time to rest, as the Trojans visit Augusta State on Wednesday. First-serve versus the Jaguars is scheduled for 2 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Carson-Newman vs Anderson University
Mar 20, 2012 at Anderson, S.C.
(Max Grubbs Courts)
Anderson University 9, Carson-Newman 0
1. Stan Atema (AU-M) def. Dusty Davis (C-N) 6-1, 6-3
2. Krystof Gulbinovic (AU-M) def. Warren McClure (C-N) 6-3, 6-4
3. Deni Mehagic (AU-M) def. Derek Holdway (C-N) 6-2, 6-0
4. Daniel Gonzalez (AU-M) def. Paul Birdsong (C-N) 7-6, 6-3
5. Loic Ambroise (AU-M) def. Eric Mueller (C-N) 6-0, 6-0
6. Trey Halbauer (AU-M) def. Garrett Duron (C-N) 6-2, 6-3
1. Stan Atema/Daniel Gonzalez (AU-M) def. Dusty Davis/Eric Mueller (C-N) 9-7
2. Deni Mehagic/Krystof Gulbinovic (AU-M) def. Paul Birdsong/Warren McClure (C-N) 8-5
3. Loic Ambroise/Trey Halbauer (AU-M) def. Derek Holdway/Austin Mackay (C-N) 8-5
Carson-Newman 6-4, 2-1 SAC
Anderson University 7-4, 5-0 SAC