Men's Tennis Rolls Past ErskineMarch 7, 2012
ANDERSON, S.C. – The Anderson University men’s tennis team dropped just one match en route to defeating Erskine by a convincing 8-1 count in non-conference men’s tennis action Wednesday afternoon at the Erskine College Tennis Center.
Anderson (6-4) has won five of its last six outings, while Erskine slipped to 2-6 on the season.
The Trojans swept the doubles’ points, as senior Stan Atema and junior Daniel Gonzalez teamed up to defeat the Fleet’s Angelo Ciarrocchi and Vincent Chauvette, 8-4, at the No. 1 slot and the duo of Deni Mehagic and Krystof Gulbinovic edged Jack West and Connor Roy, 8-6, at No. 2. Loic Ambroise and Trey Halbauer claimed their fifth win in the last six matches by blanking Erskine’s James Hoatson and Aaron Twitty, 8-0, at No. 3.
The momentum carried over into singles’ play, with Atema shutting down Ciarrocchi, 6-4, 6-2, at No. 1 and Mehagic topping Chauvette, 6-2, 6-1 at No. 2.
Daniel Gonzalez earned his fourth win in the last five with a straight-set 6-1, 6-2 win past James Hoatson at No. 4, while Loic Ambroise ran his singles’ record to 7-2 by blanking Erskine’s Connor Roy (ECMT) 6-0, 6-0.
At the No. 6 spot, AU’s Trey Halbauer (AU-M) def. Robert Clarke (ECMT) 6-1, 6-0 to win his fifth in the last six outings.
Anderson will get back in South Atlantic Conference action Friday, when the Trojans play host to Carson-Newman at the Max Grubbs Memorial Courts. First-serve is slated for 2:30 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Anderson University vs Erskine College
Mar 07, 2012 at Due West, SC
(EC Tennis Complex)
Anderson University 8, Erskine College 1
1. Stan Atema (AU-M) def. Angelo Ciarrocchi (ECMT) 6-4, 6-2
2. Deni Mehagic (AU-M) def. Vincent Chauvette (ECMT) 6-2, 6-1
3. Jack West (ECMT) def. Krystof Gulbinovic (AU-M) 7-5, retired
4. Daniel Gonzalez (AU-M) def. James Hoatson (ECMT) 6-1, 6-2
5. Loic Ambroise (AU-M) def. Connor Roy (ECMT) 6-0, 6-0
6. Trey Halbauer (AU-M) def. Robert Clarke (ECMT) 6-1, 6-0
1. Stan Atema/Daniel Gonzalez (AU-M) def. Angelo Ciarrocchi/Vincent Chauvette (ECMT) 8-4
2. Deni Mehagic/Krystof Gulbinovic (AU-M) def. Jack West/Connor Roy (ECMT) 8-6
3. Loic Ambroise/Trey Halbauer (AU-M) def. James Hoatson/Aaron Twitty (ECMT) 8-0