Women's Tennis Defeats Lincoln MemorialFebruary 28, 2012
ANDERSON, S.C. – The Anderson women’s tennis team took advantage of a lead after doubles’ action to outpace Lincoln Memorial, 6-3, in South Atlantic Conference action Tuesday afternoon at the Max Grubbs Memorial Courts.
Anderson improved 6-3 overall and 4-0 in the league with its fifth win in the last six matches, while handing Lincoln Memorial (5-1, 1-1 SAC) its first loss of the season.
Sophomores Avery Owens and Lauren Trumbull teamed up at the No. 2 doubles slot to roll past LMU’s Alexandra Granger and Shena Joseph, 8-2, and the freshmen tandem of Clair Larkin and Lindsay Gregory defeated the Lady Railsplitters’ Logan Hubbs and Aura Penalosa, 8-3, at No. 3 to give the Trojans a 2-1 edge heading into singles’ play.
Owens earned her second win of the afternoon by outlasting Sofia Lopez Mimendi in a three-set, 6-4, 3-6, 6-2 decision at No. 2 singles, while Larkin blanked Granger, 6-0, 6-0, at No. 3.
At No. 5, Trumbull got past Penalosa, 6-1, 6-0, and Gregory downed LMU’s Jessica Baker in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3 at No. six.
Anderson has a four-day break before traveling to Francis Marion on Sunday for a 1 p.m. match.
Tennis Match Results
Lincoln Memorial vs Anderson University
Feb 28, 2012 at Anderson, S.C.
(Max Grubbs Memorial Courts)
Anderson University 6, Lincoln Memorial 3
1. Leah Donoff (LMU) def. Camie Beaulieu-Brunet (AU-W) 6-1, 6-0
2. Avery Owens (AU-W) def. Sofia Lopez Mimendi (LMU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
3. Clair Larkin (AU-W) def. Alexandra Granger (LMU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Logan Hubbs (LMU) def. Shelby Anderson (AU-W) 6-1, 6-0
5. Lauren Trumbull (AU-W) def. Aura Penalosa (LMU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Lindsay Gregory (AU-W) def. Jessica Baker (LMU) 6-2, 6-3
1. Leah Donoff/Sofia Lopez Mimendi (LMU) def. Camie Beaulieu-Brunet/Shelby Anderson (AU-W) 9-7
2. Avery Owens/Lauren Trumbull (AU-W) def. Alexandra Granger/Shena Joseph (LMU) 8-2
3. Clair Larkin/Lindsay Gregory (AU-W) def. Logan Hubbs/Aura Penalosa (LMU) 8-3
Lincoln Memorial 5-1, 1-1 SAC
Anderson University 6-3, 4-0 SAC