Women's Tennis Stumbles at ErskineFebruary 27, 2012
DUE WEST, S.C. – The Anderson University women’s tennis team had its four-match win streak snapped with a 7-2 loss to Erskine Monday afternoon at the Erskine College Tennis Center.
Anderson fell to 5-4 on the season, while Erskine improved to 8-2.
The Anderson sophomore duo of Avery Owens and Lauren Trumbull gave the Trojans an early lead and improved to 6-0 on the season with an 8-4 win past Erskine’s Abby O'Reilly and Nikki Miller at No. 3 doubles, while freshmen Lindsay Gregory and Clair Larkin earned their fifth win of the season by defeating the Fleet’s Corin Hallman and Victoria Stephens, 8-4, at the No. 2 slot to give Anderson an early 2-0 lead.
But Erskine’s Tessa Rheault and Mika Goyette garnered an 8-6 win at No. 1 to spark the Flying Fleet to seven straight points.
Anderson will get back on the courts Tuesday, when the Trojans welcome South Atlantic Conference-foe Lincoln Memorial to the Max Grubbs Courts at noon.
Tennis Match Results
Anderson University vs Erskine College
Feb 27, 2012 at Due West, SC
(EC Tennis Complex)
Erskine College 7, Anderson University 2
1. Corin Hallman (ECWT2012) def. Camie Beaulieu-Brunet (AU-W) 2-6, 6-1, 6-1
2. Tessa Rheault (ECWT2012) def. Avery Owens (AU-W) 6-3, 6-2
3. Abby O'Reilly (ECWT2012) def. Clair Larkin (AU-W) 7-6 (7-0), 7-6 (7-4)
4. Mika Goyette (ECWT2012) def. Lauren Trumbull (AU-W) 6-3, 6-2
5. Victoria Stephens (ECWT2012) def. Shelby Anderson (AU-W) 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
6. April Horne (ECWT2012) def. Lindsay Gregory (AU-W) 2-6, 6-3, 6-1
1. Tessa Rheault/Mika Goyette (ECWT2012) def. Camie Beaulieu-Brunet/Shelby Anderson (AU-W) 8-6
2. Clair Larkin/Lindsay Gregory (AU-W) def. Corin Hallman/Victoria Stephens (ECWT2012) 8-4
3. Avery Owens/Lauren Trumbull (AU-W) def. Abby O'Reilly/Nikki Miller (ECWT2012) 8-4
Anderson University 5-4
Erskine College 8-2; Regional ranking #7
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,2,1,3,5,6)
Match start time was pushed back one hour due to rain that morning