Women's Tennis Falls in Tournament SemifinalsApril 21, 2011
ROCK HILL, S.C. – Top seed Wingate University remained undefeated in South Atlantic Conference play as they topped no. 5 Anderson University at the Rock Hill Tennis Center on Thursday afternoon, 5-3.
Anderson held the 2-1 advantage after doubles action as Avery Owens and Lauren Trumbull teamed up to defeat Ali Evers and Samantha Alschlager 8-6 on court no. 2 and Camie Beaulieu-Brunet and Emily Weiland topped Kara Stasikelis and Kelli Ferguson on court no. 1, 8-6, to give the Trojans the first two points of the match.
Wingate rallied back on court no. 3 as Morgan Winston and Olivia Poole defeated Shelby Anderson and Julie Halbert, 8-6, to put the Bulldogs on the board.
Beaulieu-Brunet jumped ahead in the first set on court no. 1, topping Stasikelis 6-2, but Stasikelis rallied back, taking the next two sets 6-1, 6-1 to even the match at two apiece. Poole put the Bulldogs ahead with her three set 3-6, 6-0, 6-1 victory over Trumbull on court no. 4 and Morgan Winston put the Bulldogs within one match of clinching the win with her 6-4, 3-6, 6-2 win on court no. 3.
Avery Owens kept Anderson within reach, topping Evers on court no. 2 in a hard-fought 6-4, 2-6, 6-4 win, setting the table for the final two matches of the evening.
Ferguson and Anderson put on a clinic on court no. 5 in one of the longest matches of the day, with Ferguson taking the first set 6-3. The duo battled throughout the second set as the sunset over the horizon and the lights turned on the courts at the Rock Hill Tennis Center, heading into the tiebreaker before Ferguson clinched the victory with the 7-5 (9-7) set win.
Anderson ended the season with a 12-8 record, while the Bulldogs advance to the 2011 Food Lion South Atlantic Conference Championship match tomorrow afternoon and will take on no. 2 seed Mars Hill College, with a berth in the NCAA Regional Tournament on the line. First serve in doubles competition for the championship match is set for 12 p.m.
1. Kara Stasikelis (WIN) def. Camie Beaulieu-Brunet (AUW) 2-6, 6-1, 6-1
2. Avery Owens (AUW) def. Ali Evers (WIN) 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
3. Morgan Winston (WIN) def. Julie Halbert (AUW) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
4. Olivia Poole (WIN) def. Lauren Trumbull (AUW) 3-6, 6-0, 6-1
5. Kelli Ferguson (WIN) def. Shelby Anderson (AUW) 6-3, 7-6 (9-7)
6. Emily Weiland (AUW) def. Helen Goreski (WIN) 6-1, 1-1
1. Camie Beaulieu-Brunet/Emily Weiland (AUW) def. Kara Stasikelis/Kelli Ferguson (WIN) 8-6
2. Avery Owens/Lauren Trumbull (AUW) def. Ali Evers/Samantha Alschlager (WIN) 8-6
3. Morgan Winston/Olivia Poole (WIN) def. Shelby Anderson/Julie Halbert (AUW) 8-6
#5 Anderson 12-8
#1 Wingate 20-1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,4,3,2,5)
2011 Food Lion South Atlantic Conference Semifinals
#1 Wingate advances to SAC Championship match tomorrow afternoon at 12 p.m.
Will take on #2 Mars Hill at the Rock Hill Tennis Center