Fifth-Seeded Trojans Get Past No. Four Seed Lincoln MemorialApril 20, 2011
ROCK HILL, S.C. – Led by singles victories on courts no. 1 and no. 3, the no. 5 seed Anderson University Trojans defeated the no. 4 seed Lincoln Memorial Railsplitters, 5-2, to advance to the semifinals of the 2011 Food Lion South Atlantic Conference Tournament Wednesday afternoon at the Rock Hill Tennis Center.
Lincoln Memorial got on the board first as Leah Donoff and Sofia Lopez Mimendi topped Camie Beaulieu-Brunet and Emily Weiland on court no. 1, winning 8-4.
However, Anderson rallied back to hold the 2-1 advantage after doubles play as Avery Owens and Lauren Trumbull topped Aura Penalosa and Morgan Taylor on court no. 2, 8-3, and Shelby Anderson and Julie Halbert put Anderson ahead with their 8-6 victory on court no. 3 over Alexandra Granger and Melanie Smith.
Halbert struck first again in singles action, giving Anderson the 3-1 lead with her 7-5, 6-0 victory on court no. 3 over Granger and Beaulieu-Brunet topped Donoff on court no. 1, 6-2, 6-1 to put the Trojans within one match of moving into the semifinals.
Mimendi kept Lincoln Memorial in the match, winning on court no. 2 6-1, 6-2 over Owens, but Anderson clinched the match on court no. 5 in the cage, defeating Smith in straight sets 6-3, 6-4 to advance the Trojans to the semifinals.
“This was actually the best match the girls have played all year,” said Anderson Head Coach Joey Eskridge. “Our no. 1 and no. 3 did their jobs when we needed it and we look forward to taking on Wingate.”
The Trojans and the top seed Bulldogs will faceoff Thursday afternoon, with doubles competition at the Rock Hill Tennis Center beginning at 1 p.m.
1. Camie Beaulieu-Brunet (AUW) def. Leah Donoff (LMU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Sofia Lopez Mimendi (LMU) def. Avery Owens (AUW) 6-1, 6-2
3. Julie Halbert (AUW) def. Alexandra Granger (LMU) 7-5, 6-0
4. Lauren Trumbull (AUW) def. Aura Penalosa (LMU) 7-6
5. Shelby Anderson (AUW) def. Melanie Smith (LMU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Emily Weiland (AUW) def. Morgan Taylor (LMU) 6-1
1. Leah Donoff/Sofia Lopez Mimendi (LMU) def. Camie Beaulieu-Brunet/Emily Weiland (AUW) 8-4
2. Avery Owens/Lauren Trumbull (AUW) def. Aura Penalosa/Morgan Taylor (LMU) 8-3
3. Shelby Anderson/Julie Halbert (AUW) def. Alexandra Granger/Melanie Smith (LMU) 8-6
#5 Anderson 12-7; Regional ranking #12
#4 Lincoln Memorial 13-5; Regional ranking #11
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,1,2,5)
Quarterfinal round of the 2011 Food Lion South Atlantic Conference Tournament
#5 Anderson moves to take on #1 Wingate in the SAC Semifinals tomorrow at 1 p.m