Trojans Down PioneersApril 3, 2011
GREENEVILLE, Tenn. – The Anderson University men’s tennis team rebounded from a disappointing loss two days ago to earn a decisive 8-1 win past Tusculum in South Atlantic Conference action Sunday afternoon at the Nichols Tennis Complex.
With the win Anderson improved to 8-4 overall and 6-1 in the conference and remained just one match behind league-leading Wingate in the race for the regular-season conference title. Tusculum fell to 6-11 and 2-6.
In doubles action, the Trojans won all three sets. Stan Atema and Daniel Gonzalez defeated Luis Zamora and Gui Carvalho 8-6 at flight one, while Deni Mehagic and Ilya Zakharov downed Tony Bujana and Steven Lin 8-6 at flight two, and Trey Halbauer and Jerome Branker captured an 8-3 victory at No. three over Drew Kiser and Sam Groeneveld.
In singles play, the Pioneers earned their lone point at flight three, where Lin was a 6-3, 6-4 winner over Zakharov. Two other matches went to a 10-point tiebreaker, as Gonzalez edged Carvalho 6-2, 6-7, (10-2) at flight four, and Loic Ambrose edged Groeneveld 6-7, 6-4, (10-8) at flight six.
Atema claimed a 7-5, 7-6 victory over Bujana at flight one, and Mehagic defeated Zamora 6-3, 7-5 at flight two. At flight six, Helbauer led 1-0 in the first set when Kiser retired.
The Trojans open a four-match homestand on Thursday when Conference Carolinas’ member Limestone visits for a 2 p.m. match at the Max Grubbs Memorial Courts.
Tennis Match Results
Anderson vs Tusculum
Apr 03, 2011 at Greeneville, Tenn.
(Nichols Tennis Complex)
Anderson 8, Tusculum 1
1. Stan Atema (AUM) def. Tony Bujana (TCM) 7-5, 7-6
2. Deni Mehagic (AUM) def. Luis Zamora (TCM) 6-3, 7-5
3. Steven Lin (TCM) def. Ilya Zakharov (AUM) 6-3, 6-4
4. Daniel Gonzalez (AUM) def. Gui Carvalho (TCM) 6-2, 6-7, 1-0 (10-2)
5. Trey Halbauer (AUM) def. Drew Kiser (TCM) 1-0, retired
6. Loic Ambrose (AUM) def. Sam Groeneveld (TCM) 6-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
1. Stan Atema/Daniel Gonzalez (AUM) def. Luis Zamora/Gui Carvalho (TCM) 8-6
2. Deni Mehagic/Ilya Zakharov (AUM) def. Tony Bujana/Steven Lin (TCM) 8-6
3. Trey Halbauer/Jerome Branker (AUM) def. Drew Kiser/Sam Groeneveld (TCM) 8-3
Anderson 8-4, 6-1 SAC
Tusculum 6-11, 2-6 SAC