Trojans Slip at Lincoln MemorialMarch 7, 2011
HARROGATE, Tenn. – It came down to a third set at number five singles, but the Lincoln Memorial University women's tennis team edged Anderson, 5-4, in South Atlantic Conference action Monday evening at the LMU Tennis Courts.
LMU improved to 6-1 on the season and 1-0 in the SAC in a marathon match that lasted four and a half hours, while Anderson dropped to 5-2 and 3-1.
At No. 1 doubles, the Anderson tandem of Avery Owens and Lauren Trumbull defeated LMU’s Alexandra Granger and Aura Penalosa, 8-4, while Julie Halbert teamed with Lauren Smith to earn a default win at No. three doubles, giving AU an early advantage.
Trumbull claimed her fourth consecutive singles’ win with a straight-set 6-1, 6-1 win past LMU’s at the No. 4 slot past Shena Joseph and Emily Weiland defeated Melanie Smith 6-2, 6-1 at No. 6.
Tennis Match Results
Anderson vs Lincoln Memorial
Mar 07, 2011 at Harrogate, TN
(LMU Tennis Complex)
Lincoln Memorial 5, Anderson 4
1. Leah Donoff (LMU) def. Camie Beaulieu-Brunet (AUW) 6-2, 6-1
2. Sofia Lopez Mimendi (LMU) def. Avery Owens (AUW) 6-0, 6-2
3. Alexandra Granger (LMU) def. Julie Halbert (AUW) 6-2, 6-4
4. Lauren Trumbull (AUW) def. Shena Joseph (LMU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Aura Penalosa (LMU) def. Shelby Anderson (AUW) 3-6, 6-2, 7-5
6. Emily Weiland (AUW) def. Melanie Smith (LMU) 6-2, 6-1
1. Leah Donoff/Sofia Lopez Mimendi (LMU) def. Shelby Anderson/Camie Beaulieu-Brunet (AUW) 8-4
2. Avery Owens/Lauren Trumbull (AUW) def. Alexandra Granger/Aura Penalosa (LMU)
3. Julie Halbert/Lauren Smith (AUW) def. No player/No player (MHCW), by default