Women's Tennis Eases Past USC AikenFebruary 18, 2011
AIKEN, S.C. – A sweep of the doubles action lifted the Anderson women’s tennis team to a 5-1 win past USC Aiken, in non-conference play Friday afternoon at the USC Aiken tennis Complex.
Anderson (4-1) claimed its third consecutive win, while the Lady Pacers dropped to 3-3 on the season.
The Trojan duo of Shelby Anderson and Camie Beaulieu-Brunet outlasted Aiken’s Stephanie Humphrey and Margot Simon, 8-5, at No. 1, while Avery Owens Lauren Trumbull improved to 3-1 on the season by defeating Andrea Cediel and Franziska Regel, 8-3, at No. 2. Anderson’s Marcela Gallegos and Julie Halbert won their second consecutive match with an 8-5 win over Melanie Schnieder and Caitlyn Lawrence.
In singles’ action, Beaulieu-Brunet defeated Humphrey in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3, while Halbert won her third straight match and clinched the win with a 6-0, 6-2 win at No. 3.
Anderson has little time to rest, as the Trojans play their fourth match in as many days when they travel to Mars Hill for a South Atlantic Conference contest. First-serve versus the Lady Lions is scheduled for 1 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Anderson vs USC Aiken
Feb 18, 2011 at Aiken, SC
(USC Aiken Tennis Complex)
Anderson 5, USC Aiken 1
1. Camie Beaulieu-Brunet (AUW) def. Stephanie Humphrey (USCAW) 6-3, 6-3
2. Margot Simon (USCAW) def. Avery Owens (AUW) 6-4, 6-2
3. Julie Halbert (AUW) def. Andrea Cediel (USCAW) 6-0, 6-2
4. Franziska Regel (USCAW) vs. Lauren Trumbull (AUW) unfinished
5. Melanie Schnieder (USCAW) vs. Shelby Anderson (AUW) unfinished
6. Caitlyn Lawrence (USCAW) vs. Emily Weiland (AUW) unfinished
1. Shelby Anderson/Camie Beaulieu-Brunet (AUW) def. Stephanie Humphrey/Margot Simon (USCAW) 8-5
2. Avery Owens/Lauren Trumbull (AUW) def. Andrea Cediel/Franziska Regel (USCAW) 8-3
3. Marcela Gallegos/Julie Halbert (AUW) def. Melanie Schnieder/Caitlyn Lawrence (USCAW) 8-5
USC Aiken 3-3