Women's tennis Wins Second Straight with Conference Win Past CatawbaFebruary 17, 2011
ANDERSON, S.C. – Anderson claimed two of three doubles points and six of seven matches on the singles’ side en route to outpacing Catawba, 7-2, in South Atlantic Conference women’s tennis action Thursday afternoon at the Max Grubbs Memorial Courts.
Playing their second match is as many days, Anderson (3-1, 2-0 SAC) won its second straight outing as the Trojans downed the Indians (6-6, 0-1 SAC) in AU’s home opener.
AU’s tandem of Avery Owens and Lauren Trumbull defeated Catawba’s Steffi Cook and Ally Prior, 8-3, at No. 1, while Marcela Gallegos and Julie Halbert downed Hannah Kovach and Maggie McKee, 8-3, to give the Trojans an early 2-1 lead heading into singles’ action.
Owens defeated Boyle in straight sets, 6-0, 6-1 and Halbert handed McKee a 6-0, 6-3 setback at No. 3, while Trumbull topped Cook 6-4, 6-2 at the No. 4 spot. Shelby Anderson defeated Prior 6-3, 6-2 at No. 5 and Emily Weiland wrapped the match up by blanking Kovach, 6-0, 6-0.
Anderson opens a two-match road swing Friday at USC Aiken, with first serve slated for 2 p.m. versus the Pacers.
Tennis Match Results
Catawba vs Anderson
Feb 17, 2011 at Anderson, S.C.
(Max Grubbs Memorial Courts)
Anderson 7, Catawba 2
1. Kasia Zielinski (CATW) def. Camie Beaulieu-Brune (AUW) 6-4, 7-5
2. Avery Owens (AUW) def. Nicole Boyle (CATW) 6-0, 6-1
3. Julie Halbert (AUW) def. Maggie McKee (CATW) 6-0, 6-3
4. Lauren Trumbull (AUW) def. Steffi Cook (CATW) 6-4, 6-2
5. Shelby Anderson (AUW) def. Ally Prior (CATW) 6-3, 6-2
6. Emily Weiland (AUW) def. Hannah Kovach (CATW) 6-0, 6-0
1. Kasia Zielinski/Nicole Boyle (CATW) def. Camie Beaulieu-Brune/Shelby Anderson (AUW) 8-6
2. Avery Owens/Lauren Trumbull (AUW) def. Steffi Cook/Ally Prior (CATW) 8-3
3. Marcela Gallegos/Julie Halbert (AUW) def. Hannah Kovach/Maggie McKee (CATW) 8-3