Women's Tennis Rolls Past SpartansFebruary 16, 2011
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – A strong effort on both the singles and doubles side lifted the Anderson women’s tennis team to a convincing 6-1 win past Division I opponent USC Upstate in non-conference action Wednesday afternoon.
Anderson (2-1) claimed the doubles point and five-of-six singles matches to earn the win.
The Trojans’ Camie Beaulieu-Brunet and Avery Owens suffered an 8-2 setback at No.1 doubles, but the AU tandem of Shelby Anderson and Marcela Gallegos defeated USC Upstate’s Catherine Estupinan at Samantha Knopsnyder, 8-1, to even the doubles’ side and AU took the point as Lauren Trumbull and Julie Halbert won by forfeit at the No. 3 slot.
Anderson went on to win five of the six singles matchups to notch the victory. Owens rallied to defeat Ana-Sofia Camberos, 3-6, 6-4, 10-6, at No. 2, while Halbert knocked off Estupinan, 6-1, 6-0, in the No. 3 spot.
Lauren Trumbull blanked Knopsnyder, 6-0, 6-0, at No. 4 and AU wrapped up the win with forfeits at both No. 5 and No. 6.
Anderson will get back on the courts quickly, as the Trojans play host to Catawba Tuesday afternoon.
Tennis Match Results
Anderson vs USC Upstate
Feb 16, 2011 at Spartanburg, S.C.
Anderson 6, USC Upstate 1
1. Karen Martinez (UPSTW) def. Camie Beaulieu-Brunet (AUW) 6-2, 6-1
2. Avery Owens (AUW) def. Ana-Sofia Camberos (UPSTW) 3-6, 6-4, 10-6
3. Julie Halbert (AUW) def. Catherine Estupinan (UPSTW) 6-1, 6-0
4. Lauren Trumbull (AUW) def. Samantha Knopsnyder (UPSTW) 6-0, 6-0
5. Shelby Anderson (AUW) def. No player (UPSTW), by walkover
6. Marcela Gallegos (AUW) def. No player (UPSTW), by walkover
1. Karen Martinez/Ana-Sofia Camberos (UPSTW) def. Camie Beaulieu-Brunet/Avery Owens (AUW) 8-2
2. Shelby Anderson/Marcela Gallegos (AUW) def. Catherine Estupinan/Samantha Knopsnyder (UPSTW) 8-1
3. Lauren Trumbull/Julie Halbert (AUW) def. No player/No player (UPSTW), by walkover